The Minerva Historical Society acquired the Irishtown Schoolhouse in July of 1994. Since that time the Society has focused on the restoration and maintenance of the building. For a complete history and timeline of the project please see pages 43 and 44 in the Society's publication: Minerva: A History of a Town in Essex County, NY. 1986 - 2017, The Society was the recipient of the Adirondack Architectural Heritage Award for the work done to preserve the structure and history of the schoolhouse which was built in 1847.
District #4 - Irishtown
1840’s - We have no record which shows just when this school was started, but it seems certain that for some years the children of the area attended the school in District #1 which was located on the Irishtown Road. It was probably in the 1840’s that a log school was built about where the later school stood on the corner of the Irishtown Road leading past St. Mary’s Church. When the 1855 census was taken Irishtown had a log school valued at $10
Irishtown School House Gets a Facelift
Thank you to Patrick Strohmeyer, Robert Kohrman, Steven & Bonnie McNally, Keith Iversen, Tom Savarie and, all those who helped with the painting and the building of the storage extension. Thanks to Joyce Tuffey, Dawn Galusha-Hoctor and Patrick Strohmeyer for cleaning and organizing the inside for our Irishtown Celebration. More thanks to Michelle Smith-Brannon and family for priming the outside.